Choosing a wedding dress can be overwhelming. There are so many choices out there, so many stores and so many opinions about what dress you should choose for you wedding. Some of us have dreamt of our wedding dresses since we were 5 years old and some of us are totally new in this wedding dress world. Yet we all want to look and feel amazing in our wedding day.
So in order to help you find that one amazing dress, I wrote here a few pointers to try and help you in this process and make this process a little easier on you.
1- Get inspired – using Pinterest:
These days with social media, getting inspired might be the easiest way to start looking for the right dress. I am a huge fan of Pinterest and one of the best ways to start is to create a board for all your wedding dress inspiration. This can help you with finding the right stores/designers that fit into that style instead of going without any idea what you are looking for.
Ways to make Pinterest search easier and to make sure it’s you style is by using keywords that fit your wedding style. For example:
- If you are getting married outside you can search for: “Outdoor wedding dresses”, “Boho wedding dresses”, “Comfortable wedding dresses”
You can simply use your wedding day to find inspiration for dresses that can fit for it. If you want, check out my “wedding dress inspiration” board on Pinterest HERE and feel free to pin whatever you like!
2- Understanding how to fit the dress for your wedding:
Your dress should fit the day you are planning. Whether you are planning an outdoor wedding or a traditional one, making sure that the dress is comfortable to the day you are planning is supper important. We all know how it feels like wearing something that is supper uncomfortable and believe me, you want to feel as comfortable as you can on your wedding because the last thing you want to think about is: “Omg, I wish I bought a different dress…” or “Damn I can’t move in this…”. This is not what you want to think about when you are getting married, right?
So, here is what you can do: First of all think of all the activities you will do on your wedding day. For example: are you going to hike to a beautiful location? Are you planning a dance party? Are you going to have a sitting area on the floor? Are you going to hug kids and bent down to hug them? and so on.
To make sure your dress fits your wedding and you here are a few thing you can do When you try on dresses:
- Move in it. And by move in it I mean more than just walk around. Make sure to jump, bent down (to make sur everything stays in place 😉 ), dance, lift your hands up and defiantly make sure you try and sit with it. If you can’t move in it, think again 😉
- Length. I love long dresses but sometimes specific designs can be hard to walk with. When you choose a long dress see that you are not going to step on it the whole day. This can be really annoying and can consume a lot of energy just by constantly holding it up or making sure you don’t step on it…
- Comfortability. Even if there is something tiny that feels uncomfortable, don’t ignore it. You are probably going to be wearing your dress for a minimum of 8h. so even if it’s a small issue it might become a pain in the ass after a few hours. Make sure to take care of any small thing that makes you feel uncomfortable. You will not regret it.
3- Your friend and Family are not the ones wearing your wedding dress:
When you get married a lot of times your friends and family want to be there to help you, especially when it come to your wedding dress. And that is great! But sometimes, even though they want to help, they can make it a bit harder (of course they don’t mean to) with choosing the right dress.
Listening to their opinions is great, but remember, YOU are the one that is going to be wearing it! You the one who knows how the dress feels like, you know how the dress makes you feel when you wear it and as much as you love the people in your life, this decision should be yours and not theirs. You can love your people but still have a different style. So take notes but go with your heart!
Here is the tip I give my brides and It really works:
- It’s great if you invite your mom, your aunt or your girlfriends to join you on your wedding dress search. But what you can do to make sure you make the right choice for you and not for them you can simply go back to try on the dress again and this time do It alone. First of all it’s always good to try the dress a second time before you buy it and second, when you are alone you have the time to really see if this your dress or not without anyone else’s opinions or nots. It’s just you and the dress 😉
4- From dreams to reality:
It happens to all of use- we see something beautiful, we search everywhere for it, we find it AND… It looks completely different on us then it did in the photo! Yep, not the best feeling. But we are not all top models and each one of us has a completely different body and not everything we think would fit us actually does and that’s ok! Keep your mind open to all the options out there. It’s great to have inspiration but that doesn’t always mean that it would be the right fit for you. Try different styles. Try designs you never thought off. What do you have to lose? Trying on wedding dresses is supper fun so open up to the different options and try things you never considered before until you find that ONE dress that just feels RIGHT.
And a few more thoughts to end up with:
- Choosing your wedding dress should be something you do with your heart.
- When you wear it the dress should be fitting you and not the other way around.
- It’s ok to take your time to think about it and try it as many times as you want.
- Don’t stress because someone tells you what you should wear, instead go with your gut feeling.
And most important:
Your dress, as amazing as it might be, is only one small part in your wedding day and not the main thing! Your love for one another and step you are taking in what your wedding day is what it’s all about. Alleyways remember that.
I am also adding here a few links for blogs, stores and online shops that are my favourites and can help you start this process-
Wandering Weddings: Elopement Dresses Guide + Cheap Wedding Dress Options for Elopements
Junebug Weddings: 30 Courthouse Wedding Dresses That are Simple + Special
DB&MH: The 7 wedding dress Instagram accounts every adventurous bride should follow
Austria and EU based dress designers and stores:
Hey Day Veinna
Online wedding dress stores that are simply amazing: